(*please note that date and location have changed since our original announcement due to a wildfire tragedy at the location originally planned for our retreat)
• Advanced Disaster Relief Training
• Trauma and Resilience
• Creating Your Own Global Program
• Practical Leadership Skills
In a world where disasters have become common and the stresses of daily life can become overwhelming, health practitioners, acupuncturists, therapists, and healers are being called to step out of the treatment room and into leadership. Our culture needs more leaders who are able to diagnose problems and implement treatment plans at the personal, community and global level. We will introduce practical skills to help you further develop your unique leadership abilities.
If you are already walking this path, we will help you catalyze your next steps. If you are excited (or terrified) about the possibility of stepping into leadership, we will help you build confidence to share your healing gifts in a new way.
At this retreat, we will learn the kind of trauma-informed skills necessary for our practices and everywhere we look in the modern world. We will investigate the neurobiology of trauma and our own experiences with adversity to better understand how resilience is built. We will explore the fundamentals of disaster response and how to organize clinics effectively if something should happen in a community near you. We will unpack vital tenets of fundraising to support your dreams of international service projects and local relief efforts. You will return home deeply inspired by the spirit of service, with renewed connection to yourself, a community of practitioners, and the earth.
This retreat is for acupuncturists and other health care providers and their partners.
You will leave this retreat:
· Deeply nourished and rejuvenated, with renewed connection to yourself and the earth;
· Inspired that you CAN create the projects of your dreams, that are both exciting and of great service;
· Equipped with cutting edge protocols for trauma treatment in a one-on-one or group setting;
· With new friendships, and connections to a community of like-minded, vital, powerful leaders;
· With step-by-step information about how to start, fund, and run successful national and international programs;
· With enhanced leadership skills for making any team effort a success.
This retreat is about the inner and outer aspects of being a global healer and leader. We’ll explore the deeper strengths and challenges we each bring to this arena. We will also share nuts and bolts training with advanced teachings in how to set up programs, whether they’re community service clinics or international projects. We’ll study advanced clinical practices that can be offered in such settings.
This will be a time of deep networking and the place is magical!
This retreat is an opportunity to gather together as a community of AWB supporters committed to service work in the world. The retreat will focus on a combination of leadership skill development and the specifics of how to develop your own programs serving communities of interest to you.
This AWB Level 2 training builds on the organization’s Level I training, “Healing Community Trauma,” and we will provide a certificate of Level 2 completion. AWB’s Healing Community Trauma (Level 1) course is a useful foundation for the advanced skills you will learn at this retreat, but is not a pre-requisite.
The participant capacity for the retreat is 36 participants and we will take registrations on a first-come, first-served basis. Food/lodging fee must be made in order to reserve lodging preference.
Please Note: Acupuncturists Without Borders will occupy the entire facility with this retreat. Partners and spouses are welcome to attend only IF they are taking the full training. Some double accommodations are available in this case. We are sorry we cannot accommodate children or pets.
Our goal is to support your ever growing competency to grow as a leader working with AWB and in all aspects of your own life and work. With AWB, leadership may include directing a disaster relief effort, running a community clinic serving a population in need in your area, or starting your own international project.
By bringing together acupuncturists and other health care professionals who already have significant experience with leadership, we expect much of the learning will happen through dialogue with each other. People who have attended past AWB retreats say that beyond the curriculum, beyond everything we can say about it, there is a magic that happens at these retreats that is hard to explain in words.
• AWB-recommended Toolkit of Trauma-Informed Therapies
• Neurobiology of trauma and developing resilience in your own life and for your clients
• Aromatherapy for Trauma Healing
• East Meets West-Understanding Trauma Energetically and Bio-medically
• When Healers Become Leaders: How to Create Meaningful Rituals in the Modern World
• Creating and Fundraising for your Global Service Dream (including legal issues practicing abroad, cultural sensitivity, working with other non-governmental organizations)
• Building Resilience: Dismantling the Inner Critic and Courting the Witness
• Techniques and deep practice for you and your clients on developing resiliency, healing trauma
• Advanced training on how to create a relief effort if/when a disaster strikes your community
• Group qigong and meditation practice
• Clinical Tools for Trauma Treatment
• Leadership development including transformative leadership – and lessons from ancient traditional medicine
• Creating Effective Boundaries when doing field work
• Enlightened Leadership: The 3 Keys to Avoid Leadership Burnout and Deepen Your Joyful Practice
• From Trauma to Transformation: how your own life events point the way to your mission and leadership
• Council Practice for self, community clinic work, field work (and applicable to your practice, family, all relationships)
• Community acupuncture clinic
**AWB’s California’s acupuncture education number is 0619.