Acupuncture Trauma Recovery Planned for Orlando
If you would like to contribute to support AWB’s work,
please click HERE and specify Orlando Trauma Recovery. Thank you.
Orlando-area acupuncturist Michelle Alley, AP and Steve Shomo, L.Ac, DOM, AP, WFR, in association with Acupuncturists Without Borders (AWB) for outreach coordination and
- Florida State Oriental Medical Association
- Florida College of Integrative Medicine
- Colorado Acupuncture Medical Reserve Corps (CAMRC)
- Global Outreach Doctors (GODocs)
- The National Acupuncture Detoxofication Association (NADA)
are bringing together local acupuncturists to provide trauma recovery treatments in Orlando. Treatment venues are being established, and training has been set up for acupuncturists who would like to participate.
First Training June 14
A 3-hour training will be offered on Tuesday, June 14 at 1 PM for acupuncturists who would like to participate in this effort. This training will cover the basic protocols for how the trauma recovery clinics will run, and will include elements of incident command structure which must be understood by all people who work within Florida’s emergency management structure, where at least some of these clinics are planned to be offered. Because of this, even acupuncturists who have previously been trained by AWB are advised to attend. 3 Florida State CEUs will be awarded upon completion and an inquiry is pending about whether NCCAOM PDAs may also be available. A $5.00 donation is suggested to help with the cost of materials.
NADA practitioners who are not also Licensed Acupuncture Physicians are also welcome to attend the training, and to volunteer. They can assist with ear seed treatments and other volunteer responsibilities, although they will not be able to needle under Florida Law.
Additional trainings will likely be given for people who cannot make it June 14, given short notice and work-day availability. These are not yet scheduled.
Pre-registration is appreciated. Please email Trainer/Relief Effort Co-Facilitator Steve Shomo, email@example.com.
The training will take place at:
The Center of Wellness
237 Lookout Place
The Center is graciously donating the space for the training.
Updated Information About the Relief Effort
Further information about the trauma relief effort can be found on the following Facebook pages as the effort unfolds,
Florida Acupuncture Trauma Relief Team: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1769114956659303
Stay posted for upcoming news about treatment arrangements, venues and scheduling.
For information about AWB’s role, or to help with outreach and media relations, please email AWB Associate Director in Orlando, Melanie Rubin, firstname.lastname@example.org, or call her cell, 505-261-3214.
For information about the Colorado Acupuncture Medical Reserve Corps and Global Outreach Doctors’ role, please email Steve Shomo, email@example.com, or call 303-995-7827
Sponsorship of this Effort
This effort is being generously co-sponsored by:
- ADC LTD NM www.adcltdnm.com
- Florida College of Integrative Medicine www.fcim.edu
- Southwest College of Acupuncture www.acupuncturecollege.edu
- Atlantic Institute of Oriental Medicine www.atom.edu
- Academy for Five Element Acupuncture www.acupuncturist.edu
- New England School of Acupuncture www.nesa.edu with Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
- Emperor’s College of Traditional Oriental Medicine www.emperors.edu
- The American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine www.actcm.edu with the California Institute of Integral Studies
- Lhasa OMS www.lhasaoms.com
- Blue Poppy Press www.bluepoppy.com
- Acumarket www.acu-market.com
How we work